Thursday 25 March 2010

I feel like chicken tonight

That's right folks, it's Thursday night, the night when all good little Pimlicans come home to roost.

The day started out in interesting fashion. I'm a new convert to the House of iphone and have taken it upon myself to get a few apps in the last week.

Top of the list is Sleep Cycle, which with its premise of monitoring your sleep cycle and waking you when you're already coming into a waking state has been working a treat since I started using it. One small problem encountered today - if the feline part of the kitty sitting duo decides to sleep next to your head and therefore on the phone, the alarm doesn't go off. Fast forward to me waking up ten minutes before I should have been getting on the tube. I'm not sure that an impression of a chicken with its head cut off quite does justice to the frantic scrabble that was me getting myself out the door.

So, keeping with the chicken theme (and not the few choice words I threw the way of the cat), tonight's dinner:

CHICKEN BREAST ROASTED WITH THYME, LEMON & GARLIC

1 - 2 skinless chicken breast portions per person
bunch of fresh thyme
2 lemons, sliced into 1cm thick slices
2 - 3 cloves of garlic per person - keep the skin on
sea salt
freshly cracked pepper
1 tbs approx of good olive oil
1/4 cup water

Chicken, your thyme has come...

Turn the oven to 180 degrees celsius (mine's fan forced - if not, around 200 degrees).

Place the slices of lemon, garlic cloves and around 2/3 of the thyme into an oven proof dish. Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the chicken. Place the chicken on top of the lemon slices, garlic and thyme so that the side that would have had the skin on is facing up. Rub in some olive oil - you want the chicken to be pampered, not swimming in the stuff! Put the rest of the thyme on top of the chicken. Pour the water in around the meat. Roast for around 35 minutes, until the juice runs clear when you prick the meat at a thicker point. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes, loosely covered with foil.


I served this with roasted tomatoes that I put in the oven for the last 15 minutes of cooking time for the chicken and then left in the switched off over while the meat was resting, some boiled baby potatoes with good mayonnaise and some steamed broccolini, with the roasted garlic squeezed over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment